Tuesday 14 August 2018

Digital Fluency Intensive(DFI) : Day 8

I today's session we talked about the "Google Level 1 Exam". The important thing to remember is time management and just giving it a go as it will be a good opportunity and learning experience


The Cybersmart Curriculum

It is important that when children are given their digital device the teachers scaffold the learners by preparing lessons, supporting children step by step as they work and learn on their device. In primary schools, a Cybersmart lesson for Year1-8 must be delivered weekly. The programme needs to be delivered in a positive approach enabling our learners to make smart decisions and choices when working online. This programme builds values and develops positive citizens. A Cybersmart person is a powerful person. Smart learners leave Smart footprints.
In schools presently teachers focus for:
Term 1-Smarts Learners - care of your device, management, creating folders in the drive.
Term 2 Smart Footprint- talk about being in the right place at the right time online, making the right choices and decisions.
T3-Smart Relationships connecting with people, looking at others bogs. Be positive, thoughtful and helpful.

I really enjoyed the Digital Dig session. I found it interesting and quite challenging.
Some key points I got from this session:
- Working on a Chrome Book and putting myself in the learner's shoes.
-Small device and small screen were quite tricky.
-Learning the keyboard shortcuts - when children use the digital terms it makes it easy to transfer this knowledge no matter what device you give(iPad, Chrome book, iMac) for example, when I work with the juniors I use the terms copy, paste, duplicate, save your project, inspector, delete and so on. I know it's important for children to learn the vocabulary which will make it easier for them as they move up the year levels.

I might grab one of this and practice over the holidays.

We also had an opportunity to use iPads. I was given the opportunity to talk and share about how my learners use their class site to access their learning. We looked at Explain Everything and projects that teachers created within Explain Everything. The group had a chance to complete the activities using various tools, for example: take a photo, copy paste, duplicate, listen to instruction on sound byte and complete task. 

This is my fifth year in a 1:1 iPad class and I am continuing to learn as we create and share. We have a School News Network callled, Pt. England News Network (PENN) where classes share their learning. My children were buzzing with excitement when they watched an animation of a marble run created on Hyperstudio by Ms. King's students(Year 3-4). I observed the children's engagement and told them that we could create a marble run on our iPads. During the last week of Term 2 we created a marble run animation on our iPads. It involved skills (copy, paste, duplicate, add a page, duplicate page). When children recognized the patterns and made the connections they were able to complete the task with support from me/their peers. There was a high level of engagement and we finished the term feeling proud of our achievement. We should not underestimate the ability of our younger learners. We must give them the opportunity to explore and learn.

The create part of our day was to: Create a tutorial on one thing we have learned during the 8 weeks of DFI. I decided to make a make video of how I use the extension, Toby Mini to help with my workflow. With Toby Mini you can organize your browser tabs and access key resources in one-click instead of seven. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Khismira,
    Thank you so much fro your contribution to our devices DFI session. I always thoroughly enjoy hearing about the exciting things you plan for your learners. Your openness and willing to share how you plan, organise and deliver your programme is such a huge support to many teachers! I'd love to see some of the marble run animations your learners have created. You are so right, its amazing what our little learners are capable of, and it is essential that we give them the opportunity to explore and create! I found your Screencast video really interesting, I hadn't thought of setting up my Toby mini with all of my docs I usually use! I had only created basic collections of sites that I use regularly. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gerhard

    Thank you for the lovely comment. You are very kind. I think sharing and working collaboratively is really important for us as teachers and for our students. I am very fortunate to have colleagues and wonderful people like you, Fiona, Dorothy,Russell, Karen, Michelle and Ms. King (sorry cannot name them all) who helped me in this journey. I have enjoyed the DFI sessions and working with amazing and dedicated teachers. We have formed good relationships and I hope we will stay in touch. What’s next after DFI? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Khismira,
    He mihi māhana tēnei kia koe, anō hoki he mihi tūmeke nā runga anō i ou kōrero whakaroaro e pā ana ki ngā mahi kua mahia kētia e tātou he miharo ou kōrero he tauira pai koe mōku. Ngā mihi mō tō kaha whai koha, whai aroha ki ahau me ngā hoa ō Manaiakalani.

    ReplyDelete