Thursday, 15 February 2018

Lauching a problem

Last week I decided to use Bobby Hunt's method of launching a problem to a group of children. I wanted to find out what the children already know and how well they work with each other in terms of talking about the ways in which they solved the problem. This was my very first attempt at teaching a maths lesson this way.

 What I noticed was:
1. Some engagement when I read out them the problem to the group. They were enthusiastic and shared some knowledge of what they new about caves and bears.
2. Some children could stay on task much longer than others.
3. One boy almost completed task and attempted to share his workings but the others were so restless and distracted that the others missed out on learning the strategy he used to solve the problem. He did the learning, the others missed out.

Problems I encountered:
1. Some children in the group found it difficult to focus and concentrate on the set task.
2. They ended up playing with the lego's and started play fighting with the dinosaurs, going completely off task.
3. They could not work in pairs.
4. The whiteboards and markers was not a good idea. The resource was not appropriate for the age level of the children.(should have used marker and paper)
5. We spent a long time on the task which led to self management and behaviourial problems.

This is a new approach to teaching maths and I am still learning about:
How it all works and what it needs to look like in a Year One class.
I am continuing to do readings on DIMC and have those conversations with my colleagues about what I doing with my learners.
Continuing to reflect on my practise and inquire about what I need to do next to make this work.

1 comment:

  1. Khismira, just came across this post after watching the latest video you posted on 27 May and your Rm 18 children have come so far in such a short period of time! Your dedication and perseverance is paying off!